Sunday, May 31, 2009

Languages.

Languages amaze me. I can't really even explain to you how interested I am by them. My amazement always goes back to the Bible. Read this from Genesis:

"1 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As men moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.

3 They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."

5 But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. 6 The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

8 So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel —because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth."


So before the people of Shinar decided to be greedy and try to make a name for themselves, WE ALL SPOKE THE SAME LANGUAGE!! How cool is that to think about? Dude, imagine this whole world speaking the same language. None of this not being able to understand each other business. BUT, since those people WERE greedy and God needed to punish them for their actions, this scattering of languages DID happen, and now we have over I'm not even sure how many languages in this world. Isn't that interesting? I just think that's so cool. AND THEN you meet those people who can speak like a million different languages, which is the coolest thing everrrrr. It must be so hard to keep all the languages straight in your head. I met this lady at church yesterday: get this: she's from Germany and she speaks French, Spanish and English. She was translating the message for me and I asked her how she does it and she said that she hears it in Spanish, she processes it in Spanish, she then translates it to German and THEN translates it to English for me. And she did this quickly too. I was like WOW. I guess I am just fascinated by people who can speak more than one language because I CAN'T haha. Oh well. Sorry about this rant. Um. What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

vive y deja virir said...

i love languages and i am so incredibly interested in them as well. spanish is awesome, hence the reason why i want to teach it. and i also took an italian class and sign language class this past semester...sooo cool! =)

Tia/Carol/Apphia said...

Hey Steph,
Languages are amazing. Are you learning Spanish?? Maybe someday you'll be a translator too! Communication is so important to foster understanding, repect, tolerance, etc...

My first thought when I read the other May 31 posting was, did you check your purse? A stranger who starts talking to you...after hearing from the person in Iowa City who had just gotten back from Barcelona and was talking about how pick-pocketing is an "industry" there....just be careful!

Tia/Carol/Apphia said...

hey steph,
i wanted to comment about the first posting yesterday....my first thought was, "did you check your pockets?" after a complete stranger starts talking to you and hadn't even heard you talk before he asked about being American....

Tia/Carol/Apphia said...

oops, first time trying out this blog thing...the first one disappeared and I didn't know it would show up!!!!

Stephanie said...

yeah he didn't take anything, he was really nice. we sat on a bench together but he was on the other end of the bench. he was just a nice guy. and also, haha this kind of ruins the story but i just realized i was wearing a Syracuse shirt. hm. bet that gave it away. duhhh should have remembered that hahahaa oops!