Monday, June 8, 2009

What started out as a trip to get a metro ticket...

..ended in a mission to help a homeless person.

It was really cool: Me, Kim and Kristin were walking to get metro tickets and on the way we saw this homeless guy with a sign that said in Spanish something along the lines of "My wife is in the hospital, I don't have a house and I'm hungry" and then he had a place for people to put coins. Instead of just giving him money, we walked by and went to the nearest sandwich shop and got a chicken sandwich and big water bottle for him. It took about 10 minutes all together. When we had everything, we walked back to the place where he had been, but he wasn't there anymore! We looked around a little, but we couldn't find him. We were kind of bummed, because we were excited to give him the food. So we had this chicken sandwich that none of us wanted, so we decided to walk by a church we saw a few days ago where there were more homeless people and give someone there the food. When we got there, the first person we saw was a homeless lady on the steps of the church and we decided to give the food to her. When we did, all she could say was "Gracias gracias gracias" while shaking our hands and smiling. Before we left we told her we were praying for her and I didn't catch everything she said, but she mentioned God (I know how to recognize that in Spanish haha). We were still kind of bummed we couldn't give the old man the food, since he was our original person to give it to but then I started thinking, and realised that God knew that old woman on the steps needed the sandwich more than the man did. Maybe someone had given the man a sandwich only an hour before, and we had no idea. Maybe the woman hadn't eaten in days. So I thanked God for letting the man leave before we could give him the sandwich, because God knew the woman needed it more. God is good.

1 comment:

Tia/Carol/Apphia said...

Yes! There is a great Force and Intelligence in the Universe, who some call God, which has a much bigger perspective than we ever could have, and so knows what's best in any given situation.

PS. I didn't tell you that I LOVED the photos. Amazing! You have a real talent, Steph. Your mom said there are many more on Facebook, which I'm not sure I want to join....signing up for this was a big enough step for me!!!! Any chance you could post some more here???