Thursday, June 25, 2009

Girona.

Today we went to two towns in Costa Brava: Figueres and Girona. While in Figueres, we visited the Salvador Dali museum, which was nice. I liked a lot of his artwork, surprisingly, because the only pieces I had seen before were the weird surreal paintings that he did, but he actually used a lot of other mediums besides painting. He made beautiful jewelry, and the craftsmanship and detail, and choice of jewels and metals were perfect. Definitely my favorite things in the museum. He also had these really awesome collages that were very inspiring and caused some creative wheels to start turning in my head :) Good stuff. I’m still not a huge fan of his creepy, over-symbolic, surreal paintings, but Dali himself is growing on me. Anyways, after the museum we stopped at a nice restaurant and my waiter had beautiful blue eyes and I fell in love. And then we took another train to Girona. At first glance, it was nothing special. Looked a little like the Barceloneta where I live here, and it was kind of dirty. BUT. Things changed when we got over to the older part of the town. OH MY GOODNESS. I needed somebody to pinch me. Everything I have ever imagined about what a little, old, Spanish town should look like came true. Beautiful stone buildings with vines climbing up the sides, small cobblestone streets, not even streets, like.. half streets or something, they were so narrow. Amazingly detailed lanterns on the sides of buildings, some with broken glass, but that just made them even better. I found this cool, narrow, steep, amazing staircase that looked mysterious, so we all walked up and at the top *cue hallelujah music or something* the views! were! WONDERFUL!! And since it was supposed to rain, the skies were dark blue and the clouds were thick, and it just added to the awesome experience. Then (yes, this keeps getting better) we went to the Catedral de Girona, and the outside was pretty, but nothing like the Sagrada Familia, so I was like, "Ok, just another cathedral". Well, I spoke too soon. I literally gasped when I walked into the sanctuary. Like, I've never had anything take my breath away before, but this cathedral was absolutely and stunningly enormous and beautiful and every amazing adjective I could think of to describe this. I sprawled out on a bench facing up and just looked at the ceiling for a long time. The cathedral felt like home to me. I felt so comfortable in there. I could have stayed there all day just looking at the ceiling and stained glass windows and trying to comprehend how huge the place was. Oh yeah, it has the biggest nave in the world. Woah. Ok, so after the cathedral, we went to the Jewish Quarters and went to the Baths there and, man, they were pretty. So many pretty things, I'm sorry I'm not doing a very good job describing them. Anyways, the best was the view from the top of the roof, it was the view that made all of my dreams come true. I took some pics with a friend's camera that I will put up soon, when my internet connection is better. I'm telling you. All my dreams came true. I'm moving to Girona someday.

1 comment:

Tia/Carol/Apphia said...

Hey Steph,
Your descriptions were just perfect! I could "feel" and "see" everything you described. Can't wait to see your pics, and, yes, give my thanks to your friends who are letting you use their camera! You are just the best photographer!!
Love you lots.
Enjoy your last days there....at least for this trip :-)
Love you lots,
Tia