Monday, June 8, 2009

Train Rides.

We went to Madrid this past weekend which was great. I got to see my friend and future housemate Jess! She's been in Madrid for the past 6 months studying abroad, so she showed me around the city a little on Saturday morning. It's a big place so I didn't see everything, but I saw a lot! Anyways, on the train ride there, as I was looking out the window at the beautiful scenery (for real, it's soooo gorgeous) God taught me something. I'll write down exactly what I wrote in my journal:

"We're on the train to Madrid right now and I'm looking out the window. We just passed a city with a gorgeous cathedral on the hill overlooking the city. It was very far away and beautiful and I was so concentrated on it that I almost forgot to look at the landscape right in front of me. When I did look, I saw rundown houses and huge fields of crops. I'm really glad I looked at what was right in front of me because God compared it to how Barcelona is. Specifically tourists, we come to Barcelona to see all the beautiful, majestic sights and places and hardly realise that there is more to life here than the important landmarks and buildings. The residents who live here all the time, not just for a week out of the year, they work hard and still struggle to get by. They are here all the time, they get affected by everything that happens here. For example, my friend who lives here was saying how when the dry months come around, the residents have a limited water supply to conserve water, but since the tourists don't get that memo, the residents are impacted even more... Anyways, I guess the fact that I almost forgot to look at what was right in front of me kind of impacted me more than what I was originally looking at. Does that make sense? I don't make sense."

Ha. I really don't make sense, but I hope you generally understood the point I was trying to make.

Anyways, time to go watch my soccer players outside my window :)

No comments: