Sunday, August 2, 2009

2 Weeks of Camp Counseling.

Let me tell about this camp in the woods, Kingswood. Culture shock would sum it up nicely. For example, we made all our meals on wood stoves, cleaned the latrines and chopped our own wood. Since it was literally in the middle of the woods, it was pitch black at night which was amazing, because I could see the whole Milky Way and it was so gorgeous. I was only supposed to be there for one week but things changed and they asked me to stay for a second week also. Definitely not the same as Spofford, the camp I normally work at, but I think this camp will be special too. It's just so different from anything I've ever done before. The first week i only had TWO campers! They were both ten year old girls who loved to catch frogs and dance in the rain and I had a LOT of fun with them. This past week I only had THREE campers! They were the funniest bunch of high school year old girls, I loved them. They gave me and my co-counselor, Kate, nicknames which stuck all week, haha. They were so curious about everything, and they "grilled" us with tough questions every night at dinner. We definitely went about answering them with Biblical answers, so I'm hoping some of the stuff stuck with them. Anyways, I'd love to write more about it but I have to go pack for ANOTHER camp I'll be counseling at this next week. I call it "camp hopping".... or "cheating on Spofford" as my best friend Rebecca put it in a postcard she sent me haha. :) Nothing fills my heart like Spofford does, don't you worry. I'm just trying to fill an empty void that is in my heart this summer from not being at Spofford. But I also think it's a good thing that I'm learning about how other camps work too... bittersweet. Like this whole summer has been... <3S

No comments: