Thursday, March 19, 2009

Life in the Bronx.

I myself have never lived in the Bronx, but I've been there twice, so I've heard stories and seen things that help me understand what life is like. We worked at an after school program called Graffiti 2 with kids from the ages 8-18, and hearing their stories helped me realize what their lives are like on an everyday basis. Working with the kids was awesome, but tough. The kids all come from homes that aren't the most fortunate homes around, so if they acted out, gave us attitude, or talked back to us, we had to remember where they are coming from and not get frustrated with them. And I'm not saying all of them acted out! Most of them were respectful and cared about others before themselves. It really shows what God is doing in their lives.

Sometimes these kids don't know what they will eat for dinner, if they even eat dinner. For example, Brandy, a girl I met last year on the trip, is a 6th grader who helped out with the younger kids. She is very patient with them and helps them finish their homework so they can have free time. I was talking to Brandy and asked her what she does after Graffiti 2. I asked her if she went home and ate dinner and watched TV. She said "No, I don't eat dinner at home, I just get a few dollars from my momma and go down the stairs to get a slice of pizza or to Mcdonalds." That is how some of these kids live. I am so used to a home cooked meal at the table with my family, and they probably have had that only a few times in their lives. Things are just different there.

I also met 6th grade Anali last year, and even a year later, she's the biggest procrastinator I have ever met (besides me)! She would sit down to do her math homework after all the younger kids had left and be stuck on one problem for 20 minutes.. but she wasn't really stuck, she just didn't want to do it. She is so smart too! A lot of these kids are. Graffiti 2 makes sure all their kids get their homework done before they leave, so they can keep up in school. They don't want any kids falling through the cracks, because a lot of kids in situations like that do.


(that's Brandy, Anali and me!)


Blessing is a little 7 year old, and what a blessing he was : ) He never stopped moving! He would be dancing in his seat or tapping his fingers or humming... We played Bingo one day and he had to have 8 Bingo boards and whenever the next number was called he would sway back and forth in his seat and repeat the number over and over again to a little song that he made up!

(You can just see his energy in this picture!)


Jay is the oldest teenage helper at Graffiti 2. He is 18 and a junior in high school. Jay was simply amazing. He always had a smile on his face, was always around the younger kids, and always had something to say. He was really an encouragement to me during this trip because of his enthusiasm about the Lord! You see, Jay is a new Christian, but he already feels God's call for him to be a youth pastor! His actions with the kids confirmed that call too. Jay had lived in the Bronx his whole life and says he wants to go to college in Manhattan! I loved hearing his dreams for his life, because I know God will help him get there.

(Jay is pretending to be a superstar with those awesome sunglasses!)


There were so many more kids that I could write about all day long! I know the Lord is working in their lives, their families lives, and in their neighborhood. It was really good to go back and I can feel the connection I have with the Bronx now. God has laid it on my heart to pray everyday for Mott Haven, for revival in that neighborhood and for the kids who have so greatly impacted my life!

No comments: